Saturday, July 25, 2009

"Fritzi and Me"

The other night I watched a movie titled "Marley and Me" with the understanding that it was supposed to be comical. I admit that parts of the movie did meet that expectation, but the rest of it reminded me of "Fritzi and Me"... my home videos with my dog. 

There was a time when I was overweight, had braces, and only 4 friends at the lunch table... only 2 of those friends kept in touch through high school... one through my first year of college... but people are people. Sometimes, it can be hard to rely on people to stick with you through hard situations. It is hard to find people that will love you  no matter what happens or what other people say. Thats why when I turned 8, and my sister was turning 4, we adopted Fritz (my dog). I chose to put on an act for years... and I realize that in the end, it has always been "Fritzi and Me". I left messages on the house phone while I was in Italy so that he could hear my voice on the answering machine. I skyped him as much as I could at school. He takes road trips with me to St. Louis and back. He watches movies, goes running, listens to me, cries with me... He is my best friend. He knows more about me than anyone else in the world. He has all my secrets.

Now, my best friend is 11 years old... and he is losing function of his legs. I think I must have been contagious or something, but he is old for a dog. He is moving so much slower and he is getting pushed aside so people can admire the new puppy my sister just brought home. He looked and me and there was a moment where I empathized with him. I know what it is like to be pushed aside for the younger more attractive one... but Fritz and I ... we're something special. He makes me feel special. We were outcast, but we had and still have each other. I just hope it lasts longer than I have been told.

In the movie "Marley and Me", the dog has to be put down. I'm afraid that may be me soon... at the vet with my dog. The only difference is that its not any ordinary dog... He's my other half. 

2 comments:

  1. I cried ... no, I sobbed, at the end of Marley and Me. I held my head in my hands and cried. Some parts were funny but I couldn't handle the ending.

    ReplyDelete
  2. People laugh at me when I say how much I love my dog... but he knows me better than anyone on this planet. He doesnt care why I cry or laugh or sing... He just wants to be in the same room as me when I play piano, or be there when I laugh, lay next to me when I cry. He is my best friend... has been for a long time now.

    ReplyDelete