Tuesday, July 21, 2009

The Summer of 2009

This summer I decided that I was going to figure out where I was going with my art. Art is a big part of who I am and how I react to situations. 

Art has pushed me this summer:
I went to Italy only to confirm how much I love what I do. I learned more in 5 and 1/2 weeks than I did in the entire past year of college. This struck a bit of a nerve with me once I returned home and compared the amount of SACI work, and the quality of that work, to my Drake work. There was not only more SACI work, but my SACI work was much better than the Drake art work. (YIKES)

Art has been my joy:
I shared my love for drawing with little kids in Impruneta. I love when smiles are contagious. I love how I can share something I am passionate about with other people around the world. ART IS A UNIVERSAL LANGUAGE! HOW COOL IS THAT?!

Art has been my therapy:
Since my return from my crazy adventures via vespa, I have become very weak. Its like one of my "weak days" times ten. While incapable to move by entire body by myself, I had full control of my hands. I was able to alter my photos (via computer), print them, trace, and color alterations into a twenty piece series of architectural drawings based on my favorite places in Italia. Though I did watch my fair share of NCIS and BONES, I spent majority of my time drawing in the company of my family's two dogs. 

Art has always been my therapy. When something interesting or important crosses my mind, I write how I would draw that "something". My thoughts can be read later and applied to paper, canvas, walls... haha. I found that the world is my medium. I say that with limitations, b/c like me, everything on earth has its limitations.

Within my limitations... I have decided that I will pursue art therapy and help people use art as a method of recovery, as I have used it many times for such purposes. My goal is to, one day, work at the Children's Memorial Hospital of Chicago... spreading smiles to people that really need them. 

How I'm going to meet my goal, I'm not sure yet :) I'll find a way. Even if it isn't Children's Memorial... and life doesn't work how we plan, everything usually works out for the best anyway. In the meantime - having a goal is a good place to start.

1 comment: