Saturday, February 21, 2009

2 Corinthians was my peace of the night

At 2 in the morning, you would think everyone is fast asleep. I was in a bit of a frenzy. I had shared the gospel with my family, and talked about it for a few hours. I wasn't sure how they took it. I knew I should read God's word and pray about everything that had happened in this short period of time, but I failed to find a verse to fit the situation or calm me down. 

A friend of mine happened to be on duty in the dorms and was quite helpful. He shared his testimony with me, and encouraged me to read 2 Corinthians 5. I read all of 2 Corinthians, which lead to another night lacking in sleep. Though I lacked in sleep, I gained some knowledge and definitely found some comfort in what I read. 

2 Corinthians 1: 4 - 7

"He comforts us in all our troubles so that we can comfort others. When they are troubled, we will be able to give them the same comfort God has given us. For the more we suffer for Christ, the more God will shower us with his comfort through Christ. Even when we are weighed down with troubles it is for your comfort and salvation! For when we ourselves are comforted, we will certainly comfort you. Then you can patiently endure the same things we suffer. We are confident that as you share in our sufferings, you will also share in the comfort God gives us."
 
Yes, that was a lot, but let me explain. I may suffer, but God suffers with me. When I feel joy, God will rejoice by my side. All that I suffer and struggle with will help me grow. I will be a stronger person. And when I face troubles, I will be given a gift of comfort. Tonight, I was not only comforted by the conversation of a dear friend and clarification of what I had been reading... I was comforted by another surprise visitor. I don't know if it is luck, but I sure don't know who is coming to visit next weekend! Start planning that trip! I know that God has seen me form friendships with these surprise visitors... and sometimes friendship is all you need to turn that frown upside down. 

2 Corinthians 3: 2 - 6

"The only letter of recommendation we need is you yourselves. Your lives are a letter written in our hearts; everyone can read it and recognize our good work among you. Clearly, you are a letter from Christ showing the result of our ministry among you. This "letter" is written not with a pen and ink, but with the Spirit of the living God. It is carved not on tablets of stone, but on human hearts. We are confident of all this because of our great trust in God through grist. It is not that we think we are qualified to do anything on our own. Our qualification come from God. He has enabled us to be ministers of his new covenant. This is a covenant not of written laws, but of the Spirit. The old written covenant ends in death; but under the new covenant the Spirit gives life."

Again, its a lot. I have a tendency to write long quotes when I am thinking hard about something. What I find comforting in this passage is that by sharing the word and how amazing it is, I am doing the right thing. By living with a heart filled with love and trust in the Lord, I am doing the right thing. I know I can't do anything on my own; by recognizing that, I am comforted. I have someone to lean on who will help me in troubling times like this. Sharing God's word can be found insulting, annoying, and confrontational at times, but who am I to deprive the world from knowing Christ?! I attempted to share his word today so that people may understand that God has given me life. I do not suffer with a lack of satisfaction in the life I live. Reflecting, I cannot complain. I have been given the best gift of all - the light of the world is in my heart. 

One last really long quote that I found really amazing...

2 Corinthians 6:3 - 10

" We live in such a way that no one will stumble because of us, and no one will find fault with our ministry. In everything we do we show that we are true ministers of God. We patiently endure troubles and hardships and calamities of every kind. We have been beaten, been put in prison, faced angry mobs, worked to exhaustion, endured sleepless nights, and gone without food. We prove ourselves by our purity, our understanding, our patience, our kindness, by the Holy Spirit within us, and by our sincere love. We faithfully preach the truth. God's power is working in us. We use the weapons of righteousness in the right hand for attack and the left hand for defense. We serve God weather people honor us or despise us, weather they slander us or praise us. We are honest but they call us impostors. We are ignored, even though we are well known. We live close to death, but we are still alive. We have been beaten, but we have not been killed. Our hearts ache, but we always have joy. We are poor, but we give spiritual riches to other. We own nothing, and yet we have everything."

Wow... and i mean WOW. 

I read that to say - yes, we are human and we make mistakes. We like to struggle and learn the hard way. We also stand for what we believe in; that in itself can be hard. I have told people before: following God may not be the easiest road, but it is the best road. We do all that we do to glorify God. We are who we are. God is who God is. The world will go on regardless. When we are here, we want to share our joys and concerns with one another. We are people. 

We aren't perfect, but we can be alive in Christ. I am alive in Christ. 

I may have been beaten... we all have been beaten in one way or another... but the joy I feel right now cannot be destroyed. I want people, especially the people closest to my heart, to understand the spiritual riches I feel. Saying I have faith may look like nothing, but I feel like I have everything. I know God will give me what I need and ask for, but he will also make me strong. 

I am a child of God, and I'm going to start acting like one. 

Its time to share the light and love of the Lord. 

3 comments:

  1. the passage that you shared from 2cor6 is probably some of my favorite verses from the corinthians. SO good :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rae! This is wonderful...I'm really glad you told me that you had written this the other night.

    It's fantastic to see how the Lord has really taken ahold of your heart and to see how He's teaching you so many things through scripture.

    2 Corinthians 6:3-10 was my passage for Sophomore year...so obviously I love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think I could have a favorite because all of it is just so awesome!

    I'm glad you enjoy my late night reading rants :)

    ReplyDelete